Helpful
Replies

NAT overlap

adityan404
Level 1
Level 1

object service inside-src-dest-port-9100
    service tcp source eq 9100 destination range 0 65535

64 nat (inside,outside) source static OBJ-ipB OBJ-ipA destination static OBJGRP OBJGRP service inside-src-dest-port-9100 inside-src-dest-port-9100

65 nat (inside,outside) source static OBJ-ipC OBJ-ipA destination static OBJGRP OBJGRP service inside-src-dest-port-9100 inside-src-dest-port-9100

After configuring rule 65, why do I get the following warning.
WARNING: mapped-address ipA/9100-0 overlaps with existing static NAT in Section 1, rule 64.

Can anyone please help explain the reason behind the warning message and what can be done to avoid it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

The reason is that you can't have an overlap in the NAT statement when doing static NAT. Both OBJ-ipB and OBJ-ipC are being NATed to OBJ-ipA on tcp/9100, which is not allowed.

Think of this; if a user is on the internet is connecting to the IP of OBJ-ipA on TCP/9100, which server should it be directed to OBJ-ipB or OBJ-ipC? There is no way to differentiate the two.

To correct it you could either use another NATed IP on the outside, like OBJ-ipD, or you could NAT the port number. Then users coming from the outside that wants to connect to TCP/9100 on OBJ-ipB needs to connect to OBJ-ipA on TCP/9101.

object service tcp-eq-9100
 service tcp source eq 9100
object service tcp-eq-9101
service tcp source eq 9101

nat (inside,outside) source static OBJ-ipB OBJ-ipA destination static OBJGRP OBJGRP service tcp-eq-9100 tcp-eq-9101

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

The reason is that you can't have an overlap in the NAT statement when doing static NAT. Both OBJ-ipB and OBJ-ipC are being NATed to OBJ-ipA on tcp/9100, which is not allowed.

Think of this; if a user is on the internet is connecting to the IP of OBJ-ipA on TCP/9100, which server should it be directed to OBJ-ipB or OBJ-ipC? There is no way to differentiate the two.

To correct it you could either use another NATed IP on the outside, like OBJ-ipD, or you could NAT the port number. Then users coming from the outside that wants to connect to TCP/9100 on OBJ-ipB needs to connect to OBJ-ipA on TCP/9101.

object service tcp-eq-9100
 service tcp source eq 9100
object service tcp-eq-9101
service tcp source eq 9101

nat (inside,outside) source static OBJ-ipB OBJ-ipA destination static OBJGRP OBJGRP service tcp-eq-9100 tcp-eq-9101

I see. Well, these are the original 8.2 NAT statements I was trying to convert to 9.4 code.

static (inside,outside) tcp ipA 1025 access-list inside_nat_static_131
static (inside,outside) tcp ipA 1026 access-list inside_nat_static_132

Are 1025 and 1026 here the mapped port numbers?

So would I be correct in modifying the NAT rules to:

nat (inside,outside) source static OBJ-ipB OBJ-ipA destination static OBJGRP OBJGRP service tcp-eq-9100 tcp-eq-1025

nat (inside,outside) source static OBJ-ipB OBJ-ipA destination static OBJGRP OBJGRP service tcp-eq-9100 tcp-eq-1026

I'm not really sure about the pre-8.3 syntax, but the other configuration looks correct.

Yes, it looks like they are the mapped port numbers according to the syntax from the Cisco guide. Thanks for your help.

static (real_interface,mapped_interface)
{tcp | udp} {mapped_ip | interface} mapped_port access-list acl_name [dns] [norandomseq] [[tcptcp_max_conns
[emb_limit]] [udp udp_max_conns]

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card