Views
Helpful
Replies

New ASA5506 with old Software

Marco.Kirschner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i bought a new ASA5506-x with security plus license and a 3y tamc license from a Internet reseller.

Unfortunately the asa is installed with old Software (9.5.2) so tried to download the latest version 9.6.1.

I payed ~1200 Eur for the little box and no Software upgrade is included?  The Cisco Website told me that i need a

service contract associated with my Cisco id in order to download. I searched the Internet for that contract and give up  

Is there a way to download (buy) a one time upgrade for ASA/ASDM Software?

Thank you,

Marco

1 Reply 1

I'm not aware of a one-time-purchase of a new software version. And it really wouldn't help as this version is also old after a couple of months. Getting continuous updates is important especially on a security device.

There are a couple of options you have:

1. Ask your preferred reseller for a SmartNet subscription for your ASA. With that you'll not only have software updates but also hardware replacement when the unit fails and TAC support.
  2. When there are security related bugs, you can request an update through TAC like shown on the advisories:

Customers Without Service Contracts

Customers ... who make purchases through third-party vendors but are unsuccessful in obtaining fixed software through their point of sale should obtain upgrades by contacting the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html

Customers should have the product serial number available and be prepared to provide the URL of this advisory as evidence of entitlement to a free upgrade.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card