Helpful
Replies

NFFW virtual firewall ( formerly FTD)

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears

Please reply me with your experience

1. if i m not on a public cloud and completely on premises setup then any organization would require a virtual firewall in ESXI host ?? i think it is not required becz  lets assume the vm on the esxi host all are in different subnet and to cross a subnet they need to go to the Default gateway which is physical firewall.  ( Assuming ESXi host server is connected as an port channel to the switch and switch also is connected to firewall with ether channel)
  2. how i can control VM traffic within the same vlan, Please correct me it has to be controlled by esxi host switch becz the traffic will never reach to firewall.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

@adamgibs7 yes enterprise environments certainly would/could run a virtual environment in their ESX environment, it depends on the organisation requirements. The ESX server can have multiple interfaces, which are mapped to a different interface on the virtual firewall, so you can route through these interfaces, filtering traffic as required. One use organisations may use a virtual firewall is for a scalable remote access, adding virtual firewalls to scale out on demand.

Correct, a firewall will be no good filtering traffic inside the same VLAN, you'd rely on other solutions such as Private VLANs (PVLAN), Downloadable ACL (DACL) or ideally TrustSec SGTs.

Dear Rob 

thanks for the reply

The ESX server can have multiple interfaces, which are mapped to a different interface on the virtual firewall, so you can route through these interfaces, filtering traffic as required.

when can be the situation for the above sentence.

Regards

@adamgibs7 what I am saying is you can deploy the virtual firewall and use a you would with a physical firewall.

Kaan Bilici
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

you can use FTDv its usefull solutions. you need to create a virtual switch on esxi host and port group for wan interface. and you need to create a port group on your default virtual switch witch 4095 vlan tag. all you need is to make these settings.

We use a lot of FTDv in customer systems due to problems with product supply.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card