cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 501 IP Failover

danielwatts
Level 1
Level 1

This isn't the normal question about setting up two PIX firewalls in a failover to each other setup.

What I would like to know is if the PIX 501 is capable of detecting if the internal server is not responding and, if not, then switching the NAT table to a different IP.

So if say port 80 on 192.168.0.10 stops responding for 30 seconds the Firewall will change the external ip associated with this address to 192.168.0.110

The second machine can then be configured to show a nice error/update/status page.

If the above is not possible is there somthing I can get to work with the PIX or do I need to upgrade the PIX itself?

Many thanks,

Daniel

3 Replies 3

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

i dont think pix has this capability. even with newer code. but lets see if someone else replies with some workaround

Hi - anyone?

If someone knows if the 501 is incapable of doing this could they let me know?

As Nadeem pointed out, the PIX does not have this ability. The functionality you are looking for is generally found in any of our Server Load Balancing products such as the CSS or IOS SLB which is a feature set that can run in some of our switches. "Sorry Server" is what we call the feature that can send traffic to a Generic page if all of the servers being Load Balanced are out of service. Hope this helps.

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card