cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP Error when connection to PIX...sometimes....

jasonhumes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I've configured my pix 501 to allow PPTP connections to it. Now, sometimes when connecting to this PIX via the PPTP vpn connection, I get an error during the "Registering computer on remote network" part of the authentication process...the error is "PPP Link control protocol was terminated". If I just hit the reconnect/connect button a couple of times, it will eventually connect just fine and the VPN stays up...but every so often I get that error I listed above. Any ideas. Thanks

2 Replies 2

kmarrero
Level 4
Level 4

"PPP link control protocol terminated" normally indicates incorrect security settings in your Dial-up Networking connection. You will need to ensure that the security preferences are set to allow any authentication including clear text.

To check these settings go to:

My Computer

Dial-up Networking

Select the XTRA connection

Click More

Select Edit entry and modem properties

Click the Security tab

Click "Accept any authentication including clear text"

Click OK

Hello

Thanks for the response, but I dont want to allow clear text authentication. I have my pix set to do ppp authentication via chap, and that is how I've got my pptp client setup, is to use CHAP as well. And like I said, if I just try to reconnect a few times, the tunnel will eventually work 100%. Strange...thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card