cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private VLAN routing

Kenneth Goh
Level 1
Level 1

Please help as I am trying to understand what kind of layer 3 traffic are process, since Isolated vlan hosts only talk to Promiscuous port and hosts within a community vlan (do not talk to hosts in other community vlan) but can talk to each other and Promiscuous port. I can't see where inter-vlan routing is required here?

From what I read, to allow Layer 3 processing of private VLAN ingress traffic, VLAN interface of a primary VLAN. Isolated and community VLANs secondary VLANs can be mapped to the L3 interface (VLAN network interface of a primary VLAN). 

5 Replies 5

Hi @Kenneth Goh

Promiscuous ports can talk with Layer 3 gateway, right? And with Isolated VLANs, correct? That´s where Inter-vlan routing comes in place. If you have inter-vlan routing on gateway then you can communicate through Layer 3 between hosts in Isolated vlans. Is that make sense?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

I notice my Windows endpoints connected to Isolated ports could still ping to host connected to Promiscuous port. All my Windows endpoints did not have default gateway configured. So I not sure where’s the L3 traffic?

On this specific situation this happen due layer e communication, I mean, when you ping the gateway from your Win machine it will send an ARP request asking who has the IP x.x.x.x. This arp request will get to your gateway through the promiscuous port and eventually the gateway will respond to it, thus allowing the communication.

However, if you try to ping a different IP address in a different Vlan, for example, the communication will fail. On this case, the same ARP request will be sent but no one will reply to it, this, failing the communication.

For this case, specifically, you need the Win machine to have a default gateway configured. So that, instead ARP request, the Win machine will send this to gateway. That´s why inter-vlan routing comes in place again.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

But private vlan is about having 1 same subnet for primary & secondary vlan. For routing to happen default gateway needs to be configured on the Win machine. But with or without default gateway on the 2 Win machine and with both connected to isolated port, they still cannot ping to each other but can still ping to promiscuous port which I think this is the correct behavior, so I am not sure is what layer 3 traffic are required?

I am also not sure when you mentioned with inter-vlan routing it allows communicate through Layer 3 between hosts in Isolated vlans. But only 1 isolated vlan is allow on a switch so each isolated hosts can only talk to promiscuous port only.

Router ---router Fa0/0 to access port (Promis port)--- Switch1----trunk----Switch2

To route Layer 3 traffic between isolated and community VLANs, you may connect a router to a promiscuous port.
Any example scenario on this?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card