Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem Licensing ASA 5505

cuelate21
Level 1
Level 1

HI!

I have a cisco 5505. I bought the cisco asa 5505 with base license.

First I bought and install a "L-ASA5505-10-UL= ASA 5505 10-to-Unlimited User Upgrade License" and then I bougth and install a "L-ASA5505-SEC-PL   ASA 5505 Sec. Plus Lic. w/ HA, DMZ, VLAN trunk, more conns" . license

The problem came when I try to install the second license, Security Plus. ASA shows this error:

Result of the command: "activation-key 44444 44444 444444 444444"

Failover is different.

flash activation key: Restricted(R)

new activation key: Unrestricted(UR)

Proceed with update flash activation key? [confirm]

ERROR: Failed to update flash activation key

I have only one ASA so the failover does not apply... no?

Cisco generate the activation key and the serial number and Product Authorization Key are ok.

thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You need to raise a TAC - they will re-issue the activation key based on your ASA's feature set.

HTH>

Andrew.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

You need to raise a TAC - they will re-issue the activation key based on your ASA's feature set.

HTH>

Andrew.

Hi,

did you know why I can't install our new activation-key?

After we registred the Product Authorization Key (ASA 5505 10-to-Unlimited User Upgrade License) we received an E-Mail from licensing@cisco.com:

Installing Your Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Activation Key

Step 1.  From the command line interface (CLI), enter configuration mode using the "conf t" command.

Step 2.  Type the "activation-key" command, and then, when prompted, enter the new activation key listed above.

But if I type "conf t" [ENTER] and then "activation-key" [ENTER] it looks like this:

Result of the command: "conf t"

The command has been sent to the device

Result of the command: "activation-key"

activation-key
ERROR: % Incomplete command

What goes wrong? Can you help us? Or to whom should I contact?

Best regards

Martin Kaczynski

You don't hit enter after the activation-key command. You would need to put in the actual activation key at the end of the activation-key command.

Here is the sample command for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/a2.html#wp1623546

Hope that helps.

Hi,

thanks a lot! Now it works!

I think the main problem here is we follow the directions provided by Cisco.

The email CLEARLY says "Type the "activation-key" command, and then, when prompted, enter the new activation key listed above."

Why would we type the key after the command when Cisco's notification email tells us to wait for a prompt.

May I suggest perhaps changing the notification emails to have valid information instead of flawed information?

Just noticed this original post is 7 years old...and Cisco is still sending the same activation emails with the same incorrect information.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: