cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Product Lifecycle for Cisco 1000 Series ASA Firewall

lucas.orr
Level 1
Level 1

BLUF: Will Cisco continue with the ASA version of firewalls or will they be phased out?

Looking for information on the Cisco 1000 Series ASA Firewall. I am hearing that the ASA version will be phased out of the series as more customers move toward the NGFW. I want to find out if this is the case or if there is confusion with the 5500 Series ASA firewall discontinuation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@lucas.orr There is no offical word when the ASA software will be phased out. Best speak to your Cisco Account Manager, they maybe able to provide more information.

The FTD image still does not have full feature parity with the ASA software, therefore depending on what features are required Cisco may position ASA software image. Does the FTD image meet your requirements, if so go with that image rather than bet on the ASA image being around for 3-5 years. Even if the ASA image is supported for the next 3-5 years, it's not going to get the NGFW features that the FTD image has.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

@lucas.orr yes, the ASA hardware (5500 series) is being phased out for the newer 1000, 2100, 4100 or 9300 series hardware.

The ASA software can be installed (if you wish) on the newer hardware instead of  NGFW FTD software image. There is AFAIK, no end of life for ASA software yet.

@Rob Ingram I am aware of the end of life of the 5500 series HW. Question is more on the ASA Software and if there is a drive to discontinue it as more customers go to the FTD SW.

In other words: Is there a likely hood that the ASA SW will be phased out/discontinued even when the 1000 Series HW is still available? Or is the ASA version still a safe bet for many years to come?

My understanding of the product is that the NGFW is basically all the functionality of the ASA plus more and that the FTD image is a combination of Firepower and ASA. 

@lucas.orr There is no offical word when the ASA software will be phased out. Best speak to your Cisco Account Manager, they maybe able to provide more information.

The FTD image still does not have full feature parity with the ASA software, therefore depending on what features are required Cisco may position ASA software image. Does the FTD image meet your requirements, if so go with that image rather than bet on the ASA image being around for 3-5 years. Even if the ASA image is supported for the next 3-5 years, it's not going to get the NGFW features that the FTD image has.

@Rob Ingram Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: