cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing interface ip, name, sec-level without interfering with the subinterfaces

jkellers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a ASA5550 sw 8.4(1) on which I have to do some "cleaning up"  I'm using ASDM 6.4(1) for this.

So, the interfaces (Gi1/1) got an ip-address, a security level and a interface name which i want to remove so that the interface has no ip, name and security level, it will just be enabled so that the subinterfaces is still up and running.

Interface Gi1/1 got nine subinterfaces Gi1/1.1 - Gi1/1.9 with uniqe interface names, ip-addresses and security levels. These subinterfaces are active and in production and shall still be there and it's important that nothing happens to these nine subinterfaces during the removal of ip-address, name and security level of Gi1/1

So far I have deleted all ACLs regarding interface Gi1/1), so that part is ok.

But, finally when I try to delete the name, ip-address and security-level on Gi1/1 i get this warning-message saying the following;

Interface Name Removal

- Removing the name of an interface will remove other sub-commands under the interface , as well as other commands referencing        the interface.

- Any network connection to the interface will be disconnected!

- Do you still wish to proceed?

What does this message really mean? Will it affect the subinterfaces?

BR,

Jesper

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope, I just did a clear config interface eth 0/3 and I had 0/3.1 and 0/3.2 and the configuration from the subinterfaces where not touched, however, if you remove the configuration from it, it may become down, so no traffic would pass across the subinterfaces, the only thing you need to do is to bring the physical interface back up. The configuration from the subinterfaces are not cleared.

Mike.

Mike

View solution in original post

I can confirm that you can remove sec, nameif, ip add from the main interface and it does not shut that interface down and traffic continues to flow through the sub interfaces configured.

Had to do this on an ASA over this past weekend so, fresh in my memory.

-KS

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Nope, I just did a clear config interface eth 0/3 and I had 0/3.1 and 0/3.2 and the configuration from the subinterfaces where not touched, however, if you remove the configuration from it, it may become down, so no traffic would pass across the subinterfaces, the only thing you need to do is to bring the physical interface back up. The configuration from the subinterfaces are not cleared.

Mike.

Mike

I can confirm that you can remove sec, nameif, ip add from the main interface and it does not shut that interface down and traffic continues to flow through the sub interfaces configured.

Had to do this on an ASA over this past weekend so, fresh in my memory.

-KS

Hi Poonquzhali,

Yes, ones in a while we all have to do some clean up right ? :-) Before you removed sec, nameif, ip add....did you also shutdown the interface or did you clean up on an active interface? Just corious :-)

Thanks for your fast answer-

Jesper

Hi Mike, after shutting down gi1/1 I did run the clear config interface gi1/1 command and it work perfectly. The subinterfaces wasn't touched. Everything is up'n'running.

Thanx again !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: