Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Repurposing ASA 5510 Firewall - Seeking Guidance

Hello Cisco Community,

I'm currently tasked with wiping and securely removing data from ASA 5510 firewalls and higher models. While I understand these devices are End-of-Life (EOL) and no longer receive official support, I'm interested in exploring potential reuse options.

Considering my interest in network security, I'd appreciate any guidance on suitable scenarios for reusing these ASA firewalls.

Specifically, I'm looking for insights on:

• Suitable Use Cases: Are there any non-production environments where these ASA firewalls could be effectively repurposed?
  • Security Considerations: If reuse is possible, what additional security measures should be taken given the EOL status?

I'm eager to learn and would be grateful for any recommendations from the community.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pulkit Mittal
Level 1
Level 1

**personal advise**

I suggest build a lab using these devices in an isolated network/link for training or testing purposes. 

Regards,

Pulkit

If you find this useful, please mark it helpful and accept the solution.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Pulkit Mittal
Level 1
Level 1

**personal advise**

I suggest build a lab using these devices in an isolated network/link for training or testing purposes. 

Regards,

Pulkit

If you find this useful, please mark it helpful and accept the solution.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would say it's more trouble than it's worth as they will only run very old software which you would not be eligible to download legally without a support contract.

Most engineers I know study using virtualization environments built using tools such as EVE-NG, GNS3 or CML. (The first two are free.) You can get a free ASAv evaluation license and image that uses the latest version of software (same with FTDv). Using those, you can learn using current software and features that will serve you better in both learning and real world scenarios.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card