Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary ASA interface Flap when issue write Standby

ahmad82pkn
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

i never see this before, but on newly purchased just configured firewall.

when i do wrtie standby.

All interfaces on standby unit flaps.

is it some IOS bug? my firewalls are

Hardware:   ASA5525, 8192 MB RAM, CPU Lynnfield 2394 MHz, 1 CPU (4 cores)

ASA: 4096 MB RAM, 1 CPU (1 core)

and image

asa861-2-smp-k8.bin

what could be the reason? FYI i am using lan base failover and not doing any statful failover.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sanjay Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ahmad,

This is expected behavior and when we issue the command "write standby", we see the device configuration getting erased and then re-configured from the active device. Device goes in the Sync config and Bulk Sync state in transition. Here is more info regarding the same :

write standby

. This is a misleading message and a cosmetic issue is filed with this defect id :

CSCuc63634  This is expected behavior and when we issue the command "write standby", we see the device configuration getting erased and then re-configured from the active device. Device goes in the Sync config and Bulk Sync state in transition. Here is more info regarding the same : write standby. This is a misleading message and a cosmetic issue is filed with this defect id : CSCuc63634 

Due to the configuration being removed and re-applied we saw the link flap on the standby devices.

Please rate this if helpful.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Eddy Duran
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Ahmad,

Are you monitoring both units using syslogs?

Do you get any message or syslog when the issue happens?

- Eddy

Sanjay Shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ahmad,

This is expected behavior and when we issue the command "write standby", we see the device configuration getting erased and then re-configured from the active device. Device goes in the Sync config and Bulk Sync state in transition. Here is more info regarding the same :

write standby

. This is a misleading message and a cosmetic issue is filed with this defect id :

CSCuc63634  This is expected behavior and when we issue the command "write standby", we see the device configuration getting erased and then re-configured from the active device. Device goes in the Sync config and Bulk Sync state in transition. Here is more info regarding the same : write standby. This is a misleading message and a cosmetic issue is filed with this defect id : CSCuc63634 

Due to the configuration being removed and re-applied we saw the link flap on the standby devices.

Please rate this if helpful.

thank you for the information, though this behavior would be new for me, since i never saw this on my dozen pair which are in production, May be something with new generation ASA series.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card