Views
Helpful
Replies

secondary ip on ASA

acid_kewpie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at a phased migration from PIX to ASA and our ISP is currently routing a seperate public subnet through the PIX into our network. As the IP of the PIX pair is used in their routing tables, and the ASA's are being commisioned of different public IP's (it's too complex to just keep the same IP's for other reasons), I'd ideally like to be able to take the IP being used as the routing HOP and keep it on the ASA's as a secondary IP or such like, without having to liaise with the ISP to do a timed routing change, which is never fun. This would also give a nice bit of abstraction from hardware IP's and functional IP's. if this was an IP being used for a NAT or such then obviously that move would be simple, but as this is a routing hop, the NAT wouldn't make sense (would it?)

If this were IOS, i'd personally be looking at an HSRP IP, but on ASA I don't think this is possible, but hopefully someone might be able to prove me wrong.

Thanks

Chris

5 Replies 5

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

This sample configuration shows how to set up multiple VPN Group Clients to use different VLANs after the IPsec tunnel is established with the PIX 500 Series Security Appliance

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806ab788.shtml

erm, thanks. BUT that appears to have nothing to do with the question i asked at all...

Do you have public servers exposed to the Internet in your PIX & a DMZ ?

Are you using this only for NAT ?

if it is case 2, it is pretty simple,

ON your LAN gateway, put a policy route for a test subnet pointing towards the ASA & test all functionalities.

The default route will be via the PIX.

When everything is ok, just change the default route to the ASA & remove the Route map

thanks,

as above, we do not control the gateway device which is routing to the PIX and ASA internet presentations, this is our service provider. these addresses are not NAT addresses on the devices, but are routed through the devices into our LAN.

could you pls explain again as what is your requirement ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card