sh asp table interface output

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

hi everyone,

when i do sh asp table int  on ASA  --  system space it shows

Soft-np interface 'x' is up

context admin, nicnum 3,

need to know what does Soft-np and nicnum value 3 mean here?

Also i checked that value of nicnum is different  on some interfaces?

Regards

Mahesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

I think this is probably something that Cisco would have to answer.

To my understanding such commands are probably used mostly by TAC engineers as I have had no use for this myself.

I would presume that the "nicnum" refers to some physical interface on the ASA itself.

For example the "show version" command lists some numbers for the physical interface on the ASA unit.

It might refer to those numbers. I am  not sure.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are looking at virtual interfaces internal to the ASA that are used in handling of traffic flows for processing by the various functional blocks. They are normally not anything you need to deal with in day-day operations.

"nicnum" refers to the Network Interface Card number associated with the particular soft-np internal interface you are looking at.

There is some more explanation and context for understanding this on the Cisco Live presentation BRKSEC-3020. You can view the presentation or download the slides at http://www.ciscolive365.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

I think this is probably something that Cisco would have to answer.

To my understanding such commands are probably used mostly by TAC engineers as I have had no use for this myself.

I would presume that the "nicnum" refers to some physical interface on the ASA itself.

For example the "show version" command lists some numbers for the physical interface on the ASA unit.

It might refer to those numbers. I am  not sure.

- Jouni

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are looking at virtual interfaces internal to the ASA that are used in handling of traffic flows for processing by the various functional blocks. They are normally not anything you need to deal with in day-day operations.

"nicnum" refers to the Network Interface Card number associated with the particular soft-np internal interface you are looking at.

There is some more explanation and context for understanding this on the Cisco Live presentation BRKSEC-3020. You can view the presentation or download the slides at http://www.ciscolive365.com

Hi Jouni & Marvin,

Thanks again for all the help.

Best reagrds

Mahesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card