cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The best practise to select a appropriate PIX software.

Leonlei
Level 1
Level 1

I have question about how to select PIX software version. I would prefer to compromise latest and greatest against stability, such as 6.3.1 or 6.3.3. What is the best practise to compare and select a appropriate software for production?

3 Replies 3

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

6.2x is flagged "GD", for general deployment, 6.3x is flagged "ED" for early deployment. In doing so, Cisco apparently feels that 6.3 has not had enough widespread usage to merit calling it ready for general deployment.

Not necessarily. Having a release reach a GD status, requires a lot of milestones be met (such as number of open bugs, field time, etc...). Here is a document that goes over this a little more:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/ciscosecure/pix/pix-reldesgn.shtml

As for the question, I would always suggest you go to the latest build once you choose the train you want to run. For instance, if you choose 6.3, go with 6.3(3) as this will have very little new features (in most cases, no new features) over 6.3(1), just bug fixes.

Hope this helps.

Scott

I checked on CCO,

6.2.2 has 108 bugs and 97 of them are resolved in 6.2.3 which is a GD version.

6.3.3 currently has 46 bugs and haven't been fixed yet. So I am not sure, if 6.2.3 is the best candidate. And upgrade to 6.3.3 until most of the bug are fixed or 6.3.3 GD is achieved.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card