cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The Firepower Device Manager application cannot be opened. Please try

amralrazzaz
Level 5
Level 5

i have Cisco ASA5516-X Threat Defense with ios version (75) Version 6.2.3.17 (Build 30) and i intended to upgrade to 7.0.1 but i have to go 1st through 6.4.0 so i upgraded the ASA to isco ASA5516-X Threat Defense (75) Version 6.4.0 (Build 102) then the network coming up and running normally but when i tried to login to ASA FDM GUI it showing me error massage as below and im not sure how to fix this without impacting my licenses !! (check attachedissue asa.PNG pic)

The Firepower Device Manager application cannot be opened. Please try again.

If the problem persists, try resetting the manager. Log into the CLI, then issue configure manager delete followed by configure manager local. Then, log into Firepower Device Manager and complete the device setup wizard. If resetting the manager does not resolve this problem, please reimage the device using the most recent Firepower Threat Defense software release.

amr alrazzaz
10 Replies 10

@amralrazzaz you could configure manager delete then configure manager local but I would recommend reimage the device straight to 7.0.x than perform an interim upgrades. Either way once connected just connect to smart licensing again.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/reimage/asa-ftd-reimage.html#id_57088

is that mean the license will be lost ? and i have to re install the license again and generate token from scratch or what ?

is the reload or reboot and disconnect device from power and re turn again will solve the issue?

amr alrazzaz

@amralrazzaz you can try rebooting and see if that makes a difference, in the past I just reimaged the device when I experienced issues upgrading. You get the base/essentials license in FTD as default, to use the other licensed features you need to configure the cloud connectivity (you will need your CDO credentials).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/quick_start/fp1010/firepower-1010-gsg/ftd-fdm.html#task_wcz_wtv_33b

Dear i need to ask you after upgrading the IOS and restored the license , i need to upgrade also VDB, geolocation and Intrusion Rule versions  as they  are outdated as per screenshot !

So my questions about the steps of upgrading and from where to download these kind of software and import them! or shall i just use the updating from cloud which mean it will detect and bring the latest version and downloading it ?!! please advice?

Also for the  VDB, geolocation and Intrusion Rule upgrading , is there any impact on the network or their will be any downtime! also is it will impact on the configurations by doing some changes or deleting the configurations because ill doing these kind of upgrades remotely not physically on site !!!

amralrazzaz_0-1698570166304.png

amr alrazzaz

@amralrazzaz just enable updates for all of them from the cloud and FDM will download them directly. The configuration will not be deleted. I

If you don't have a license to use those features you don't need to download the updates.

i have smartnet license and i have the base essential license ! so you mean if i have those kind of license i just enable the upgrade ill will update it self automatically ?!  and configurations will be impacted or deleted or site will be down ?

do you mean also if i don't have license (what kind of licenses can enable the auto update for those features?) so i have to downloaded them manually and import and install them !???

amr alrazzaz

dear shall i just click on those highlighted ones on below pic simply?

this will not gonna impact network connection to be down or loose configurations! because that device i managing it remotely its in different country !!!

amralrazzaz_0-1698582696919.png

amr alrazzaz

Hello again when i tried to update for example ((GeoDB Update)) i faced the this error   Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates and task doesn't completed as per below screenshot :

amralrazzaz_0-1698619549780.png

amr alrazzaz

@amralrazzaz that error message seems to indicate a DNS issue, although the community post below refers to FMC which you are not using it it's the same error. Check your DNS settings and try again. - https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-security/cannot-download-updates-peer-certificate-cannot-be-authenticated/td-p/3750789

Also I would recommend upgrading from 7.0 to 7.0.6

Check this bug and workaround

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvh01658

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card