clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Dears,

Please find the attached topology

Interface name on the ASA are:

Inside, Webfilter_IN, Webfilter_OUT, Link balancer, Outside, WAN

SFR job will be only IPS inspection and malware inspection

I have internal user for whom I m planning to pass the Internet traffic through the web filter, I will do the PBR on the ASA inside interface to route internet traffic to web filter and then the web filter will check url filtering and send the traffic from the web filter out interface to the ASA ,  then on the ASA again I m doing the another PBR for the Web filter out interface the traffic which I receive I will push it on to the link balancer.

I have below 2 question for the above design,

• The Internet traffic which will passed from the ASA  will be inspected twice by the SFR, ??? becz the internet traffic is coming in from the inside interface and exiting the webfilter_IN interface ( so before exiting the webfilter_IN interface on the ASA the traffic will be checked by the SFR????). then again ASA will receive the same connection traffic from the web filter_OUT interface and it will exit the link balancer interface (so before exiting the linkbalancer again it will send to the SFR ???),  
  • Is it the above design is best practice or an alternate can be done,

Thanks

7 Replies 7

clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Dears,

Nobody has the answer for my query above, or the question is not clear.

thanks

Hi Clark,

Sending the same traffic twice will be unnecessary. 

Going by the norm, you should place the webfilter inline unless it does not have that capability, so that the traffic is sent and inspected once through ASA and IPS. 

Ideally we would want that whatever traffic is denied at the webfilter level should not even go through ASA once. So, any blocked traffic should be blocked as close to source as possible by placing the webfilter internal to the ASA. 

Now, there can be a workaround with your existing design. For that we need to know if the webfilter lets the traffic pass as it is or NAT using its own ip address. So, for IPS inspection, we can send the traffic using the source ip address and creating a policy(mpf). We can exempt either the real machines or the webfilter. Other than that, I would prefer having the webfilter inline. 

HTH

AJ

Dear linking,

As it was planned before for placing the webfilter internal to ASA as close to the source but later it was changed to place it as mentioned above,

so I want to know is it the traffic will be send twice ??? to the SFR

Now, there can be a workaround with your existing design. For that we need to know if the webfilter lets the traffic pass as it is or NAT using its own ip address.

there is no NAT it will passed as it is

we can send the traffic using the source ip address and creating a policy(mpf). We can exempt either the real machines or the webfilter.

I have permit ip any any in the SFR access-list so that every traffic is sent to the SFR. Now the traffic is not natted from the webfilter so how I can restrict traffic internal host not  to route twice to the sfr.

Regards

Since the traffic after getting filtered would be coming from web filter_OUT interace, it would be then better to have interface specific policy rather than global policy. Ideally we have a global policy and we apply SFR policy there. But in your case, you can have a interface specific policy so that traffic coming from lan to webfilter is not inspected. So, that would take care of the issue of traffic getting inspected twice. 

I have few more concerns:

1. since the lan subnet is behind lan interface, if the traffic comes to ASA from web filter_OUT interface, it might get dropped.

2. even if we manage to send the outbound traffic, the return traffic might again get dropped due to same reasons. 

Please test and see what challenges you face. 

Regards,

AJ

Dear 

the 2 concerns u have raised r really killing me from day1.

Just want to know the packet which will go out from the Asa webfilter in interface when it will receive from webfilter out interface will not be maintained by Asa,,Asa will treat as a differ t packet??? Becz here we r not changing the IP add of the source.

Pls get me answer for ur concerns Becz I'm going to do the change.

Hi Clark,

Packet get initiated by lan user -> goes from webfilter-in interface to webfilter.. This part is fine. Once the webfilter sends the packet through out interface back to ASA, that is when the ASA might think of this as spoof since the source is actually located behind lan interface. Also, even if this traffic comes to ASA, the return traffic will not be handled correctly since it might go to lan not come back the same way.

ASA is not supposed to like that either. My suggestion - make a topology wherein the webfilter is inline so that the design becomes as below:

lan user -> webfilter -> (inside) ASA (outside0)-- internet handoff

This will make things simpler in a longer run.

If you still wish to use current setup, find a way to NAT the lan users when they are filtered through webfilter so that ASA does not take that as spoof and return traffic follows the same path.

HTH

AJ

Dear Linking,

Sorry for the delay as I was out of the country, If I NAT on the webfilter than there will be no issue but in this case I want to avoid to send traffic twice to the SFR module.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card