Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer Cisco ASA Config from old to new ASA

I have been given the task of replacing our current Cisco ASA 5506-X with a new ASA 5506-X due to an issue.

I have collected the configurations from the old ASA's and now I need to put them on the new ASA's.

How much of the new ASA do I need to set up before uploading the config file?

Also this is the first time I've worked with cisco devices on this level so I'm highly novice.

We do not have a service contract but Cisco sent us ASA's that are 9.5 and our old ASA's are on 9.6
I worked with a guy at the new Managed IT services company that we are switching to and we are under the impression that the issues we are having are due to the firmware being incorrect on the ASA and the wrong version of asdm. Can you help me out?

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can just load the old config file into the factory fresh ASA.

You may need to change to boot and ASDM variable to match what's present on disk0: of the new appliance (or also upload the matching ASA and ASDM software images).

"wr mem" to save it and then reload. Watch the console during reload to see if there are any 9.6-specific features you were using that would give an issue on the 9.5 code (unlikely but possible).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card