Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnel??

abhi-adte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am studing the VPN; I want to know why I need to create the Tunnel in VPN? cos I have physcial interface on my ROuter or Firewall.?

Any Benift of that??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I guess you could think about it as a virtual interface to provide a simple interface for configuration.
One of the most common VPNs that use tunnel inteface is GRE.
It uses the tunnel interface to encapsulate the traffic in GRE packets with the tunnel
source/tunnel destination commands creating either a point-to-point tunnel or multipoint if
combined with DMVPN.

Federico.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Are you referring to creating a tunnel interface on a router?

The tunnel interface needs to be created for a GRE tunnel for example, it is not required for an IPsec VPN tunnel (since it uses the physical interface).

If this is not what you want please elaborate.

Federico.

simply why we need to create the interface tunnel in VPN??

or Importance of interface tunnel?

I guess you could think about it as a virtual interface to provide a simple interface for configuration.
One of the most common VPNs that use tunnel inteface is GRE.
It uses the tunnel interface to encapsulate the traffic in GRE packets with the tunnel
source/tunnel destination commands creating either a point-to-point tunnel or multipoint if
combined with DMVPN.

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card