Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding ASA bundles and Licenses?

haughjd
Level 1
Level 1

help?#

Ok Can anyone direct me to a guide or a document which expalins what you need to know when looking at purchasing an ASA5505.  Which clearly describes the verious permitations and combinations of these lovely little boxes?

I recently purchased a basic:

ASA5505-BUN-K9

I realise now this comes with 10 internal users, 2 ssl and no anyconnect mobility.   All these can be purchased as additional licenses.

Its my understanding that to support unlimmited Internal/Inside hosts - I need to purchase the

L-ASA5505-SEC-PL (Security Plus License)

1) What is the model I should go for if I want to support unlimmited interneal.  Can a 5505 be purchased with with security plus?

Thanks,

Jonathan

10 Replies 10

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Jonathan,

All your requirements for unlimited users can e filfilled with this hardware only. You just need the unlimited license for it. Here's the doc that you are looking for:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/security/asa/asa82/license/license82.html#wp190062

Hope that helps

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

I can't open the above link.

don't know why?

Regards, Jon

Hi,

Could i solve this by upgrading my asa with:

L-ASA5505-SEC-PL

Then would that make my ASA5505 BUN K9 to be like an:

ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

For unlimited users you do not need teh security plus license, insteadyou just need a unlimited host license, whihc is available both in base and security plus licenses. I'll attache the doc soon.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

So would I have been better of buying:

ASA5505-UL-BUNK9

and can i convert my 10 base users to UL with a license?

Jonathan

Absolutely, for unlimited hosts you need the UL license, you can upgrade the 10 user to either 50 or UL

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Ok do you have a license part number I can pass to my supplier?  I guess doing this upgrade would be the same as originally going for:

ASA5505-UL-BUNK9

Then this would give me NAT access for all my internal clients.

-> Sounds like that could be the answer :-)

However - The security plus bundle would be an option too.  And that would be more like buying:

ASA5505-SEC-BUN-K9 -  A more expensive option - i think?

What are the key differences?  What do you get for the extra monies?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Ok looks like I have had some success and was able to download the doc. You would get all your answers here as wel as the difference that you need.

The part number is the same as you mentioned.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

thats a good document.

-> As upgrading to security plus would still not help me - as its base license is also only 10.

Do I now need to be asking my supplier for:

L-ASA5505-10-UL

note: also it looks like if I upgrade - get better dhcp functions:"

For a 10-user license, the max. DHCP clients is 32. For 50 users, the max. is 128. For unlimited users, the max. is 250, which is the max. for other models."

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Yes you are right, you need the unlimited license upgrade rather than the security plus license and with unlimited you certainly get the 256 dhcp user clients. So you can ask your reseller for this license:

ASA5505-SW-10-UL=

ASA datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card