Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade ASA 5512-x to ASA FirePower

_Ratha_
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Currently I have ASA 5512-x with ios 9.0.2. and I need to upgrade license to ASA firepower.

Please help guide me, how to upgrade ASA 5512-x to ASA FirePower.

Best Regard

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please share if you have the SSD already installed ("show inventory").

If you have it, you will need to:

1. Upgrade your software to 9.2(2) or later (9.6(1) ideally).

2. Remove any existing module (ips or cxsx - "show module" to check for these)

3. Purchase the license for FirePOWER ("sfr" module type). There are several variations (IPS, URL Filtering, Malware or a combination of the three).

4. Image and install the sfr module on the SSD.

If you don't have the SSD you will still need to do the above plus add the new hardware and install it.

Dear Marvin Rhoads,

when I bought ASA 5512-x I have SSD already. then I purchase only license for IPS, URL filtering and MAP. what are additional software require to install on my existing SSD?

Best regard

Ratha

5512-X is a new model which supports FirePOWER services.

There is an external module known as SFR  module, it is a software module which you can install on your asa ( taking help of cisco TAC) , after that you need to buy License for FirePOWER services selecting different combinations of IPS, AMP, URL filtering as per your requirement, once you activate the license , you will be able to use services .

Ratha,

In addition to the licenses mentioned earlier, you will need to image and install software on the sfr module. There is a quick start guide which explains the process in detail:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/quick_start/sfr/firepower-qsg.html

Don't forget you will first need to upgrade the ASA software to begin this process. ASA prior to 9.2(2) will not even recognize there is a module of type "sfr".

ciscoasa# show inventory

Name: "Chassis", DESCR: "ASA 5512-X with SW, 6 GE Data, 1 GE Mgmt, AC"
PID: ASA5512           , VID: V03     , SN: FGL182541Q4

Name: "Storage Device 1", DESCR: "Micron 128 GB SSD MLC, Model Number: C400-MTFDDAC128MAM"
PID: N/A               , VID: N/A     , SN: MSA181800KR

ciscoasa#

jaganchalla
Level 1
Level 1
I would like to install firepower using ASA 5512. current version is 9.1(6).if I upgrade my ASA with 9.2(2) or Higher version .is it going to effect my older configurations. what is procedure to upgrade my ASA 5512 ASDM also.please any one help.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card