cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Path

ccox01
Level 1
Level 1

I am running an ASA 5520 on v 8.4 (2). Would I be able to migrate (upgrade) directly to Release 9.0.3.ED?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding it should not be a problem

The Release Notes for 9.0 Software says

Upgrade Path and Migrations

If you are upgrading from a pre-8.3 release:

See the Cisco ASA 5500 Migration Guide to Version 8.3 and Later for important information about migrating your configuration.

You cannot upgrade directly to 9.0 or later. You must first upgrade to Version 8.3 or 8.4 for a successful migration.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa90/release/notes/asarn90.html#wp704110

As you can see, it first states that you check the other document if you running older than 8.3 sofware. It then states that you can't directly jump to 9.0 or later. It then follows to state that you first have to be in 8.3 or 8.4, which you are.

I constantly switch my own ASA between 8.4 and 9.0 and 9.1 software levels when testing configurations.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding it should not be a problem

The Release Notes for 9.0 Software says

Upgrade Path and Migrations

If you are upgrading from a pre-8.3 release:

See the Cisco ASA 5500 Migration Guide to Version 8.3 and Later for important information about migrating your configuration.

You cannot upgrade directly to 9.0 or later. You must first upgrade to Version 8.3 or 8.4 for a successful migration.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa90/release/notes/asarn90.html#wp704110

As you can see, it first states that you check the other document if you running older than 8.3 sofware. It then states that you can't directly jump to 9.0 or later. It then follows to state that you first have to be in 8.3 or 8.4, which you are.

I constantly switch my own ASA between 8.4 and 9.0 and 9.1 software levels when testing configurations.

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card