cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Virtual FMC

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

I am reading up on upgrading the software on our virtual FMC. Currently the FMC runs 6.0.1.1

The upgrade path seems to be below -

Version 5.4.1.x > Version 6.0 Pre-Installation Package > Version 6.0 > Version 6.0.1.x > Version 6.1
or
Version 5.4.1.x > Version 6.0 Pre-Installation > Version 6.0 > Version 6.0.1 Pre-Installation 6.0.1.x > Version 6.0.1. > Version 6.1 Pre-Installation Package > Version 6.1

I am assuming I need the following first -

Sourcefire_3D_Defense_Center_S3_Pre-install-6.0.1.999-1224.sh

My first question is - How does one go about upgrading the FMC? Would I upload the above patch to the FMC itself via the GUI (System / Updates) and then once uploaded, click install from there?

Question 2 - If I want to upgrade the FirePOWER software on the ASA SSDs via the FMC, do I again upload the necessary patches / software to the FMC and then install directly from there? I already have the devices registered against the FMC.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My first question is - How does one go about upgrading the FMC? Would I upload the above patch to the FMC itself via the GUI (System / Updates) and then once uploaded, click install from there?

Yes, that's the way to go. Don't forget to do a VM-snapshot before if something goes horribly wrong.

Question 2 - If I want to upgrade the FirePOWER software on the ASA SSDs via the FMC, do I again upload the necessary patches / software to the FMC and then install directly from there? I already have the devices registered against the FMC.

Again, that's the "typical" way. I also used a different approach: Remove the FP-ASA from FPMC, and completely reinstalled the module on the ASA to the newest software available and then register it again. That can save you some time when the module has older software and it will be a "fresh" system. At least with the 5506-X I had situations where an upgrade was not possible because of lacking disk-space on the ASA-SSD.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Yes, that's the way to go. Don't forget to do a VM-snapshot before if something goes horribly wrong.

Again, that's the "typical" way. I also used a different approach: Remove the FP-ASA from FPMC, and completely reinstalled the module on the ASA to the newest software available and then register it again. That can save you some time when the module has older software and it will be a "fresh" system. At least with the 5506-X I had situations where an upgrade was not possible because of lacking disk-space on the ASA-SSD.

Thanks Karsten. Good Point about the "snapshot" also.

I like your way of thinking regarding my 2nd question and is most likely they way I would go for this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card