cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

URL Filtering Using PIX

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We are evaluating the PIX firewall for use. From the documentation i see that its not possible for me to URL filtering using PIX. THe solution offerred is using websense ( $$$$ )

How is this done.

Thanks

Mad

4 Replies 4

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

websense or n2h2 are your real options.

if you do not expect to pay, how do you expect to achieve url filtering? someone needs to compile the list of banned URLs

Not applicable

I am basically looking to block a bunch of URLs and use Keyword Blocking. ( E.g i can do that using sonicwall, netscreen etc)

Is there a way to do it at all just with PIX firewalls and no external applications

Thanks

Mad

i agree with Mr Madhax,my customer just recently bought a Netscreen firewall with url filtering and anti-virus bundle.I lost on couple of big deal on security due to this 2 main reason.I wonder when will cisco firewall will have the options of using keyword blocking.

I agree, the market is getting very competitive. Most attacks now are application based making firewall requirements much higher. Back then just having a stateful firewall was enough, now with the zero day L7 exploits you need a little more intelligence upstairs. I would imagine Cisco would address this, they have too since other FW vendors are already working up the stack regarding HTTP traffic etc.. and people are asking for this all the time.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card