Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Vonage with a Cisco ASA5505

pkrysinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Cisco ASA5505 (basic license) for use at home. I also just purchased Vonage for home phone & fax line usage.

While reading the instructions, the Vonage hardware needs to be placed between the cable modem & my internal LAN equipment.

Instead of going with this model, I was curious if anyone knows or could provide details on how to place the Vonage hardware behind the ASA5505?

I don't know if this could be possible by placing the Vonage device into a DMZ port or if there was another way this could be accomplished.

If you can provide a configuration example that would be extremely helpful as well!

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

-- Phil

3 Replies 3

plumbis
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure how vontage works but it probably requires a static translation. You can add something like

static (inside,outside) 1.1.1.2 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255

To translate the 1.1.1.1 outside address to the 192.168.1.2 inside address.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am going to try this as soon as I receive the Vonage hardware.

Hopefully I can make this work without having to upgrade my license to allow DMZ functionality, since that is around 500 dollars I think.

-- Phil

Well I got the device today and was able to setup the Vonage hardware with no problems at all.

When I connected the WAN port of the Vonage device to the ASA, it picked up on it and allowed the SIP ports out with no problems.

The ASA works perfectly with Vonage, no problems at all!

-- Phil

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card