cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

which two of the three method allow you to avoid eavesdropping traffic when you are managing device

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

ssh

oob

snmpv3

I really can not understatnd

4 Replies 4

Pulkit Saxena
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tagir,

Any such way of management which is encrypted will help in avoiding eavesdropping.

a) SSH is encrypted and is a good option, and that is why preferred over telnet.

b) OOB depend what kind of management it is, usually it is also using SSL so secure for example, CSM.

c) SNMPv3 ideally has the encryption feature, so we can even go for that.

Overall, I would say it depends from network to network and our requirement to use the correct option.

-

Pulkit

Thank you Pulkit,

b) OOB usually (serial) rollower cable from laptop to consol port of device.

I really can not understatnd 

which two of the these three methods allow you to avoid eavesdropping traffic when you are managing device

Tagir,

By OOB, i though you meant third party management devices, however, serial/console is fine as cable is connected directly, between laptop and the device. So no one can sniff in.

However, it is always good to use management options which are encrypted, like SSH and even SNMPv3.

Console can always act as the backup option, if in case if we loose remote access.

-

Pulkit

Please rate helpful posts. 

Is it for an exam? I would consider all three answers correct:

• ssh: uses encryption to protect the data
  • snmp v3: doesn't encrypt the data by default, but when choosing the "priv" mode, it is also encrypted.
  • oob: Using an OOB connection to the device doesn't say anything about the encryption. It still could be unencrypted like telnet. But OOB typically assumes that there is a dedicated network that can't be accessed by the attacker. If you take this assumption as true, you are protected against eavesdropping. But typically you would also use cryptographically protected communication through an OOB-connection.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card