I was playing around with SNMP one day and decided to find out if I could create a MS-DOS batch job using only a single batch file and a free SNMP command line tool from the Internets. Here's what I came up with. To get this to work you need the following:
1. Create a directory (ie, C:\BATCH\FINDMAC)
2. Place FINDMAC.CMD into directory from step #1 (save attachment as FINDMAC.CMD)
3. Create a file in directory from step #1 called sitelist.txt. This file should be a simple text file, comma-delimited, with two items per record. Neither item can have spaces. Item 1 should be a friendly name to identify a site or a distribution layer device. It's just something that you can easily remember. Item 2 is a FQDN or IP address of a seed device (typically, this would be a distribution switch on which one or more layer 3 neworks terminate).
4. Download SNMP command line tools from net-snmp.org and install into the path (or modify the script to point to the correct location for the SNMPGET and SNMPWALK programs)
5. Open a DOS window, navigate to the directory from step #2 and type "findmac.cmd <sitename> <macaddress>" where <sitename> matches a site from sitelist.txt and <macaddress> is a mac address in the format xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
This process works great for me on a Windows 7 workstation. I can quickly locate the access port for any MAC address at our HQ or any of our branch locations. Our environment has 7Ks, 5Ks, 6500s, 3750s, and 3550s.
I have a question related to the attached scratch. It's my intention to transport all VLANs (which are part of a dot1q-trunk) from the lefthand side to the righthand side and vice versa. The outer VLAN has only local relevance between the switch acce...
Hi all, we are not seeing VSS second switch in sh run. is that normal ? only one switch from virtual domain: switch virtual domain 10switch mode virtualswitch 1 priority 255mac-address use-virtualbut on sh sw virtual - we see both switches-...
Hello.Regarding support on Nexus3k, I want to make q-in-q frames transparent on the IF with VPC set. What should I do? Isn't it supported in the first place? Put config below. N3K-01#########vpc domain 100role priority 100peer-keepalive destinat...