Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer: unwarranted screen reader in Laptops/ Servers CLI

gelsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I'm using PT ver 8.1.0 on MacOS Big Sur. It's working properly -I guess-, except that when I add a laptop/ server to the view, click on said laptop, 'Desktop' tab, then 'Command Prompt', whatever command I'm running, some screen reader starts reading the result of my command.

I have checked that the macOS' own screen reader is disabled.

I made sure that 'Play Sound' within PT is UNchecked (although I believe it's not related).

That reader is not reading any other content off the screen except the results of the CMD command (or SSH as well). Including errors.

I checked PT help doc, and it doesn't show where to disable that (or if the feature is there to begin with).

While it's not affecting the app's functionality, it's annoying (especially if you're using the Mac's audio output to run something else/ music).

Let me know if I've missed any other detail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

8 Replies 8

o.khoja93
Level 1
Level 1

This is so annoying, I've searched for the last 2 hours for a solution. 

ZeroGravitas
Level 1
Level 1

Same issue here. I'm running Packet Tracer v8.1.0722 on macOS Big Sur v11.6 and whenever I open up the CLI of a switch/router/computer, then a screen reader starts reading out loud all the results in the CLI. Very annoying.

macOS's own built-in screen reader is disabled and I couldn't find any relevant settings that would control this behaviour in PT.

josh.starmer
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue

ehsanheidari.67
Level 1
Level 1

Did anyone find a solution yet?

vscoder
Level 1
Level 1

Super annoying. Anyone found a way out of this?

Hi everyone,

Cisco seems to have resolved their issue on Mac -mine is Big Sur- in their latest release 8.2.0.0162.

You may need to uninstall your old version and install this one -or above, depending when you’re reading this-.

Please note that it may still be active on your PT, if so, please to go Preferences > under Interface, and check the ‘Disable CLI Text to Speech’ option.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for sharing this solution! Finally worked. Thank you thank you!!!

imichaelv
Level 1
Level 1

Wow, this just happened to me. I'm on Sonoma 14.2.1 and Packet Tracer 8.2.1.0118 

The 'Disable CLI Text to Speech' option was the solution, fix, work around.... It made it stop.  Thanks for sharing @gelsayed.