cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AWS userdata limit reached for ios-config

MC35912
Level 1
Level 1

I have an AWS Cloudformation template the spins up an EC2 CSR. I then use userdata to import the ios-config.

This all works.

However, I have been given a config that is larger than the limit userdata allows.

The only solution I can think of is to enable the guestshell on the CSR and run bash. Copy the config from an S3 bucket. Then use some commands to load the config through the guestshell. The problem being is what those "some commands" would be ?

Im open to suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

MC35912
Level 1
Level 1

managed to get it working. Posting in case it helps anyone in the future:

in the guest shell: mv configfile /bootflash/

dohost "copy bootflash:/configfile running-config"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

MC35912
Level 1
Level 1

managed to get it working. Posting in case it helps anyone in the future:

in the guest shell: mv configfile /bootflash/

dohost "copy bootflash:/configfile running-config"

I'd hit the same issue and came to a similar workaround approach.

In the CloudFormation we have a Lambda that runs to create the config for the router based on various parameters specified during the deployment. We also create an S3 bucket in the region of the deployment and copy the Lambda created config to it, whilst also creating an interface endpoint as the "mgmt" interface of the CSR doesn't have public access to reach S3.

An EEM is then created in the limited userdata to enable the guestshell and copy the created config to the router, along with the AWS CLI tools and various other scripts for monitoring purposes.

Now trying to repeat this for the ASAv but struggling to find any documentation on the use of userdata on the ASAv.