cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 router config questions

joemill11
Level 1
Level 1

i want to be able to view all the default items in my config, recently i read that say, for instance snmp i could do this "show startup-config | include snmp"

can i do this for the entire config file?

second i need to see what exact traffic is flowing through my router so that i can be sure not to close off any needed ports. is there a way to see this without first applying the acl list?

third once i transfer the config file to the tftp server, what is the best tool to use the edit the config file before putting it back? ie notepad, ect.. or other special app?

fourth i want to setup logging to buffered and monitor it daily, i dont want it to use the cpu the point of failure, but i need a decent buffer amount, what type of numbers can i use and what is the limit for buffer amounts.

also any documentation or examples for these questions would be great. thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not clear about your first item, especially when you say all the default items. There is not any command that will display all the defaults. Generally what shows up in the config are the things that are different than the default.

Then your question goes on to talk about being able to "pipe include". Recent versions of IOS allow you to pipe both the running config and the startup config. You can include, you can show the interface config of any of the interfaces, you can start at some character string. These are very handy and means that lots of the time you do not need to do show run and page through lots of pages of information that you do not need.

Second. If you want to see traffic there are several options that may help. If you enable CEF (which you probably should do for several reasons - and it generally is the default in recent versions of IOS) there are some show commands that will show you source and destination of the traffic. Or you can enable flow switching which will generate statistics about the traffic. Or you can turn on IP accounting which will also generate statistics about your traffic.

Third. After the config file is on the tftp server you can use the text editor of your choice. I happen to prefer wordpad to notepad, but any of the text editors will do. There is no need for any special app (unless you are planning to do something special with the configs).

Fourth. Logging buffered has the least impact of any of the logging options. What constitutes a decent amount of space will depend very much on your situation (most especially how much are you logging and perhaps to some extent how much memory do you have on the router). For example I have a customer who has a router that passes a lot of traffic and logs a lot of information. We allocate 65535 amount of memory for logging buffered and in about an hour or two. I doubt that your router will generate quite as much. So my best advice is to pick some number (perhaps 65536 or maybe 32767) and look at how quickly the router wraps around.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

First thanks for replying, so another words what your saying is that the info that i see in the config file is all the items that were added in there? that there are no default items to see in thier entirety?

about the cfe and other methods. do any of them let me see the ports that i will need to block or allow in order to have the right acl on my interfaces?

can you show me where i can find the commands for cfe, flow switching, and ip accounting?

can you show me where i can find the commands to setup logging to buffered and to set the correct amount of memory (it says 53248K/12288K bytes of memor

y)