cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

boot off cdrom on 4230

shawn.posthumus
Level 1
Level 1

One of our 4230 sensors will not boot from the cdrom currently. Does someone know the key to get into BIOS to enable this? Thanks.,

2 Replies 2

a.arndt
Level 3
Level 3

Just connect a keyboard and monitor to the sensor prior to powering it on. You should see a prompt to press to access the BIOS.

If the BIOS hasn't been password protected, changing its settings so that the system will try to boot from the CD-ROM should be easy at this point. If it is password protected, and you don't know the password, you'll have to consult with the TAC to see if there is a way to clear it out (like shorting out the CMOS to clear it).

BTW, there was a recall on the IDS-4230 some time ago (June 2003). Long story short, Cisco will replace it with a IDS-4235 for free. Details can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps4077/products_field_notice09186a00801850de.shtml

I hope this helps,

Alex Arndt

Thanks a lot. The bios shouldnt be password protected, but I guess I will find out. We are planning on doing the free upgrade to the 4235, but of course we move at the same lightning speed as most places =P