cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant access PIX515 via Device manager

scott.pepi
Level 1
Level 1

I am having troubles connecting to my PIX 515 using the Cisco Device manager. I am using a DNS name, and I get prompted with the security and the username and password. When I accept the cert, and type in my password, it looks like it is going to open, but it wont. It was working fine last week, and nothing has changed...How can I get into it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.paradis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

Did you update your Java client recently? On my side, the latest Java JRE doesn't let me open the PDM, due to some security restriction. (Exact error is java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.version read))

To fix this, either upgrade your PDM to version 3.0(3) or downgrade your Java version to 1.4.1

Reference: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6250137

(Don't forget to rate if this is helpful to you ;))

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

a.paradis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott,

Did you update your Java client recently? On my side, the latest Java JRE doesn't let me open the PDM, due to some security restriction. (Exact error is java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission java.version read))

To fix this, either upgrade your PDM to version 3.0(3) or downgrade your Java version to 1.4.1

Reference: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6250137

(Don't forget to rate if this is helpful to you ;))

I have had to do this before. I was wondering if you know how the autoupdate works on the pix515.

Is there a maintenance schedule that the pix follows? If I set the pix to do an auto update from a tftp server, will it auto update immediatley or will it wait until like midnight or something?

Thanks

Hi,

A pix configured for auto-update will look for configuration files at boot-up and also and the configured polling intervals

So what you are saying is....If I have a TFTP server running with a new build, and I reboot the firewall, it will look for that tftp server and upgrade without intervention?

Thanks

Well not exactly.

The auto-update features requires you to have an auto update server, which can be obtained with applications like Cisco VMS, Cisco Secure Application Manager, etc.

If you want more info, just log into your PDM, then go to "Configuration", click on the "System Properties" tab, then on "Auto Update". Afterwards, click on "Help", and it'll tell you everything you need to know ;)

Thanks for th einfo. I did see this in the PIX, and this is where the question came up. I dont feel 100% comfortable doing an auto upgrade...just incase it went south on me.

I have a tftp server installed, I can ping it from the PDM. I have copied the new PDM bin file over to the tftp server. How do I do this manually? What would the command be? Is this something that can be done during normal hours? Do I need to have any downtime? Will this erase my config?

I have backed up the running config to the tftp server. Also, I keep seeing this new version 7 for the PIX. I am at 6.3(3). An old rule of thumb I use, is if it aint broke, dont fix it. The reason for the PDM upgrade is due to the Java client issue...it's a real pain in the neck.

thanks for your help.

Scott

dserfass
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue with the PDM go to the javal plug in control panel in the control panel of your workstation. open it up and go to the browser tab and un check Microsoft Internet Browser. worked for me and when you need java again just check the box

don't forget to rate if this helps