cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configure internet UPC with cisco 501

vconlelystad
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 501, version 6.3 firewall. The modem of UPC (internet) gives no ip address to the 501, because the mac address which enabled the connection with internet is a network adapter in a standalone pc. UPC can only accept one mac address. They (UPC) say that I have to clone or fake the Mac-address from the network adapter in a router. But is this also possible in the firewall 501? I cannot find a solution for it. Thank's for reading

3 Replies 3

mostiguy
Level 6
Level 6

I don't believe a PIX can do this (custom enter or "clone" a mac address). The cable company should be able to reset something to allow you to use the outside interface of the PIX's mac address to connect.

Comcast's cable internet access used to behave similarly

I thought also, but if I use the outside interface of the PIX’s for UPC it’s not possible to configure the Internet connection. The software from UPC is not customer friendly, they don’t accept this kind of installation. I have recommended the customer to use an (A)DSL connection or order an router from Cisco which can clone or fake the mac address. Thank ‘s for your reply.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

I don't believe you can clone or spoof a MAC on the Pix.

If you disconnect your network from the cable system for an extended period, you may be able to get it to reset.

FWIW

Scott