Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting from snmpv2c to snmpv3

michael_page
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I currently have an environment that has SNMPV2c for my mds9148. mds9250, and mds9513's.  If I show the running config. I see snmp-server host (i.p) and then traps version 2c public udp-port xxxx.  I have gotten an email from the network administrator that I need to implement SNMPv3 to comply with security directives.  I am running DCNM 10.1.1 and plan to upgrade to 11.x.  I haven't done this before and not sure about what i need to do to implement the SNMPv3.  Has anyone gone through the process and know what  has to be completed of with the networking side of the house and and my switches.  I am sure that I have to re-configure the current users who have rights to the DCNM, but I want to do everything right and not loose access/management to switches.  Where do I start first and what steps need to be taken?

2 Replies 2

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Check out:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/8_x/config/system-management/cisco_mds9000_system_management_config_guide_8x/configuring_snmp.html

It's pretty similar to IOS, IOS-XE and any other NXOS. You create an snmpv3 user, decide if you want to encrypt or just authenticate the SNMP traffic, and create the same snmpv3 user and authentication profile on your DCNM.

This doesn't affect existing admin users, the SNMPv3 user is its own user with privileges according to the SNMP view. Usually you'll set it for read only for a monitoring program.  

You can then delete the snmpv2 configurations from both MDS and DCNM with no harm done.

Thank You Nadav!!!   I'll give this a try and let you all know the result...again, Thank You!!  :{o

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: