cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSA controlling the size of CSA databases

cbigas
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get some control over my csa databases increasing out of control.

I have SQL server installed.

Are there any guidelines in controlling this?

THANKS

3 Replies 3

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Shrink the database if you're running CSA 4.5. If not, I suggest pruning your event logs.

How many hosts? How large is the database? We have 2400 hosts and the database is 162MB.

Tom

Events are definately the biggest issue with space. Our databases are in the 20GB range, due to events. A good way to deal with it is to create an Event Managing Task to automatically delete some class of events on some interval.

Events are not automatically purged for you, you have to either do it manually or set a task such that CSA will do it. If you do not take either of these steps, your database will grow without bound until it hits an upper limit. If you're not using SQL server, you'll hit 2GB and MSDE will stop you in your tracks.

jeffasher
Level 1
Level 1

You need to purge events using either Event Sets or Event Log Management tasks. That clears the events, but the database file size will not shrink automatically. You then need to use DBCC shrinkfile. You need to stop CSA MC services before you do this. Look at support.microsoft.com for dbcc shrinkfile syntax. You can write a script to stop CSA MC services then run osql commands to shrink the database and log files and then restart the CSA MC services. You can then schedule a task to run that script at some off time. This is assuming you make the proper rule exceptions so that the CSA policy itself doesn't prevent this.

I've done this with both CSA 4.0 and CSA 4.5 without problems.