Views
Helpful
Replies

Custom Signature

bfl1
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me with this?

I am trying to create a custom signature with the following characteristics...

Option 1:

Source Sequence number is 0

Flags are Syn/Ack

Destination Port 80

MinHits 5

Option 2

Source Port 80

Flag RST

Sequence number = 1

TCP ZeroWindow

MinHits 5

I've tried using the signature wizard but can't find the right combination.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mcerha
Level 3
Level 3

We don't currently support looking for specific sequence numbers or window sizes. We are in the process of planning additional engine parameters to deal with this. To create custom signatures that match close to your specifications, you could do this with ATOMIC.TCP.

Option 1

TcpFlags SYN|ACK

Mask FIN|SYN|RST|PSH|ACK|URG

DstPort 80

MinHits 5

Option 2

TcpFlags RST

SrcPort 80

MinHits 20

If needed, you can add the SrcIpAddr / DstIpAddr parameters to limit these to certain addresses.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

bfl1
Level 1
Level 1

Here is what I tried, in order to achieve option 2 - it didn't work:

Sweep.port.tcp signature

Mask: SYN/FIN/RST

TcpFlags: RST

MinHit: 5

Protocol: TCP

Unique: 5

PortRange: 1

InvertedSweep: True

This isn't firing...

bfl1
Level 1
Level 1

I finally have it working, but not quite the way I want it.

ATOMIC.TCP

FlipAddr: True

Mask: FIN/SYN/RST

MinHits: 20

Protocol: TCP

SrcIPAddr: 10.10.10.5

ScrIpMask: 255.255.255.255

SrcPort: 80

TcpFlags: RST

If I don't specifiy the source, it fires often - due to the fact it's going to see more than 20 RST packets to various hosts. I would like to use a state based signature, so I don't have to specificy the source.

I'm trying to get it to fire when the IDS system sees an IP address sending multiple RST packets to another machine with the source coming from TCP 80.

mcerha
Level 3
Level 3

We don't currently support looking for specific sequence numbers or window sizes. We are in the process of planning additional engine parameters to deal with this. To create custom signatures that match close to your specifications, you could do this with ATOMIC.TCP.

Option 1

TcpFlags SYN|ACK

DstPort 80

MinHits 5

Option 2

TcpFlags RST

SrcPort 80

MinHits 20

If needed, you can add the SrcIpAddr / DstIpAddr parameters to limit these to certain addresses.

Thank you for your guidance... FYI: This signature helps identify when a port scan is taking place using the nmap idle feature. If this signature fires at the same time the TCP SYN PORT Sweep, then the source (since flipaddress is true) is the one probing the zombie's IPID. I've tested it several times and it works well... I have to keep the minhits high, around 20-30, and define the source as the web servers and it works great. Thanks for your help!