cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

database corrupt

frevere
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that my CSPM database is corrupt. When I click on Tools¨View Sensor Events¨Database the system locks up. Is there a way to copy/replace files in the installation directory to begin a new database? I really do not want to uninstall/reinstall the CSPM, configure the sensors and apply all the updates.

3 Replies 3

Nairi Adamian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a utility in CSPM called the trouble shooting tool kit. You can get to this by selecting Start->Programs->Cisco->Cisco Secure Policy Manager-Trouble Shooting Toolkit.

CSPM 2.3.3i saves a copy of the original database during install. You should save the .cpm file file first, to keep the original topology.

In the Trouble Shooting Toolkit, select the "Restore Policy Database" tab. This will allow you to restore the original database. You can then import the .cpm file you saved before you started. Press update.

hope this helps,

-Nairi

f.yarnell
Level 1
Level 1

There are a couple of methods. The method that seems to be the most effective is to move to a command line, and get to the directory that contains the CSPM software. Get to the \bin directory and type cvtnrlog. The help there shows you the switches, -d being the one that deletes the events in the database.

Deleting the database folder in the CSPM subdirectory also will make the software create a new database, although I have experienced issues with this method.

I had database issues every two months, until I began to use the same user id that the software was installed under. Every time I update or maintenace the software, I use the same user id that I installed the software under, and it has allowed me to keep the same database for close to a year at a time.

scotthef
Level 1
Level 1

I have had a similar problem myself. When I tried to open the Event Viewer I got an error that the database could not be accessed but the machine did not lock. I erased the database using the cvtnrlog utility with the -d option. Then I reset the Policy Database using the Troubleshooting Tool Kit. Next I restored the copy of the Policy Database that I had saved before my last signature update. This was all recommended by Cisco. Unfortunately non of this helped and I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling CSPM. As a consulation you should know that if you must reinstall CSPM and you are installing the 3.1 version, I was told by Cisco that after install you can go directly to the latest signature update. Currenly that is 3.1(3)S33.