cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences between the various IDS options from Cisco

pbobby
Level 1
Level 1

I am curious as to the IDS differences between the IDS features in PIX, Switches, Routers as compared to the well known feature set of the 42xx appliance.

I was once under the impression that the PIX and Router/Switch IDS implementations were a subset of the signature functionality available in the 42xx appliance.

Is this still the case?

Are there other differences?

5 Replies 5

a.arndt
Level 3
Level 3

To give a quick reply, the difference between the various IDS solutions offered by Cisco is dependent on the solution.

For example, the router/PIX IDS feature you refer to is in fact a particular code load you can flash onto your device that gives a limited set of IDS signatures for use. The device with this feature installed, IIRC, communicates with the monitoring solution via syslog and not RDEP.

All the other solutions, be it a NM-CIDS or an IDSM-2 or a IDS-42XX, run the same code. As a result, they all have the full signature set and its functionality at their disposal. The only real difference at this point is the platform from which they run (line card in a router, line card in a switch or a stand-alone appliance) and the overall throughput they can handle (anywhere from 80 Mbps to over 1 Gbps).

I hope this helps,

Alex Arndt

A small correction.

The IDS feature in the Pix image itself are limited to a few hard coded signatures and only reports with syslog.

The original IDS feature in the IOS Firewall Router image itself were limited to a few hard coded signatures and only reports with syslog (and the old 3.x Postoffice communications).

BUT The new IOS Firewall Router images DO have a newer set of IDS/IPS features. No longer are the signatures hard coded into the image. The IOS Firewall image now contains IDS/IPS Engines (like the 4.1 Appliances and Modules) that can be configured with an XML file in order to add new signatures.

This new Router image can also report with RDEP2 style communications.

(RDEP2 is based on the original RDEP used in the version 4.1 Appliances and Modules, but has been modified to use the newer Security Device Event Exchange (SDEE) format for requesting and sending the events. We took the original RDEP format and began discussions with other vendors and came up with a newer SDEE format that can be used by all IDS vendors. This newer format is what the IOS Firewall image now uses)

The main differences between the IOS Firewall Router image with the IDS/IPS features, and the IDS Appliances and Modules (including the NM-CIDS which is a IDS module for the router) are the following:

1) The number and types of engines. The Appliance and Modules support a larger number and type of engines and can, therefore, support some signatures that can not be done by the IOS Firewall.

2) The number of signatures configurable per engine. The Appliances and Modules support a larger number of signatures per engine than the IOS Firewall.

3) Ease of configuration. The Appliances and Modules have the CLI and IDM for help in configuring the signatures and even creating custom signatures.

The IOS Firewall uses a XML file that must either be edited manually by the user or edited by another tool.

An IDS MC version is being created to help users in editing and maintaining this XML signature file for the IOS Firewall.

4) The IOS Firewall supports a drop action. So when the attack is seen it can drop the packets en route. The Appliances and Modules can execute TCP Resets and create ACLs on other devices but can not drop the actual packet. (This feature is commonly known as IPS Intrusion Prevention Systems or as InLine IDS). This feature is being added in the next version of the Appliances and Modules.

So there are many common features, with the Appliances and Modules being more fully featured.

The router's IOS Firewall image is in fact a good compliment to the Appliances and Modules.

The Appliances and Modules can be used to monitor for a larger list of attacks and be placed at strategic points in the network (like behind the firewall).

Most users won't be able to afford a full featured IDS for each of their subnets.

For these additional subnets the IOS Firewall image can least give protection for the top list of viruses/worms.

Because of the limited signature set of the IOS Firewall the router can not watch for all of or as many attacks as the Appliances and Modules. But the IOS Firewall images can be invaluable during times of Virus or Worm outbreaks.

The top worm and virus signatures can be loaded on the IOS Firewall on the router, and can be configured to drop the attacks. This way at least these top issues can be monitored and protected from on a per subnet basis using existing router equipment loaded with the newer IOS Firewall images.

In the case of many enterprise customers, the Appliances and Modules can be deployed at headquarters providing full protection there.

And not being able to afford a complete sensor for each small remote site (where they may only have 10 users for example) they can load IOS Firewall on their existing Access Routers at each remote site to at least give protection for the top issues of the day.

Thanks for your reply Marcoa! I just didn't have the time to go into that much detail, so I'm glad you did.

Furthermore, thanks for explaining the new features of the current IOS Firewall. I wasn't aware of these new features, particularly the RDEPv2 communications capability.

Thanks again!

Alex Arndt

You can read more about the IPS features in the newer IOS Firewall code using this link:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_8/gt_fwids.htm

The new XML signature files can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ios-sigup

NOTE: There is a link to this page from the main IDS/IPS download page under the IOS IPS Update Files section:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/ciscosecure/ids/crypto/

Thank you marcabal! I have been researching and reading documents all over cisco.com trying to find the differences between the IOS IDS and the new IOS IPS. Your explanation is what I have been looking for! Your explanation should be published somewhere on cisco.com.