cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firewall Solutions

mirshad
Level 1
Level 1

I need a brief information about firewall solutions, how do I propose to the customer a solution on Firewall? Please enlighten.

2 Replies 2

edmonds_robert
Level 1
Level 1

mirshad,

You have several choices, but some of the basic differences have to do with capabilities. For example, does your firewall act as a proxy server, also. Many do, some don't. Also, you have the choice of hardware or software firewalls. Hardware firewalls are usually noticeably faster, but more expensive. From my experience, I would pay the extra money for a hardware firewall. I love the PIX. A good book to read would be "Firewalls 24Seven" by Sybex. It has great explanations of the features of firewalls as well as descriptions of about 20 different popular firewalls for NT, Unix, dedicated firewalls, etc. Definitely worth the read.

elehman
Level 1
Level 1

Usually a solution is based on # of hosts, # of networks, speed, capabilities, security of the device and the list goes on and on. you might want to check out www.securehq.org. They review everything security and might give you some better insight.