cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FW-4-ALERT_ON

Bernard Magny
Level 1
Level 1

In the past week, about every 3 minutes i get these messages from my firewall router:

%FW-4-ALERT_ON: getting aggressive, count 2/500 current 1-min rate: 501

%FW-4-ALERT_OFF: calming down, count 0/400 current 1-min rate: 360

What does it mean?

Is it connection from inside the network?

Or outside?

Should I be worry about this?

What are the effects?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

From the cisco site these messages mean this:

CBAC detects and blocks denial-of-service attacks and notifies you when denial-of-service attacks occur. Error messages such as the following may indicate that denial-of-service attacks have occurred:

%FW-4-ALERT_ON: getting aggressive, count (550/500) current 1-min rate: 250

%FW-4-ALERT_OFF: calming down, count (0/400) current 1-min rate: 0

When %FW-4-ALERT_ON and %FW-4-ALERT_OFF error messages appear together, each "aggressive/calming" pair of messages indicates a separate attack. The above example shows one separate attack.

%FW-4-ALERT_ON : [chars], count ([dec]/[dec]) current 1-min rate: [dec]

Explanation Either the max-incomplete high threshold of half-open connections or the new connection initiation rate has been exceeded. This error message indicates that an unusually high rate of new connections is coming through the firewall, and a DOS attack may be in progress. This message is issued only when the max-incomplete high threshold is crossed.

Recommended Action This message is for informational purposed only, but it may indicate a security problem.

So yes, I would worry about it. Some questions I have to help you determine the source are:

Are there any other messages besides those two that you also see much more of than you should?

Is there a load or stress test that is being conducted? If so, it may trigger those messages.

What ports/protocols are listed in your inspect-list?

no other messages are logged arround those ones.

No load test that I know of.

the inspect list is as follow:

ip inspect name STARMARK ftp

ip inspect name STARMARK http

ip inspect name STARMARK icmp

ip inspect name STARMARK tcp

ip inspect name STARMARK udp

ip audit po max-events 100