cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM Telnet Capabilities?

atramos
Level 1
Level 1

Assistance Requested... Is it possible to configure telnet services for an IDSM via its management interface? I’ve notice that the IDSM O/S runs a “Cisco Telnet Service” bound to “MD5” interface allowing telnet capabilities via a session from the Catalyst that houses the unit. However, my requirement is that of remote management for the unit via its management network (i.e. director/CSPM). Any clarification or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies 6

scothrel
Level 3
Level 3

The telnet service is currently limited to the internal Catalyst command and control channels for security purposes. Future versions may expose this channel for external telnet sessions, once security features have been implemented to provide for access control.

Thank you for your feedback. A question in lieu of this response, how does remote management of the IDSM blade occur, aside from internal Catalyst access? In an enterprise deployment of this device, it’s highly probable that separate organizations and possibly corporations would be responsible for managing the IDSM verses the Catalyst switch for which it resides. I’ve exhausted the available documentation for the IDSM and still am unclear how to achieve this functionality. Aside from vendor support issues, is it possible to install a third-party utility providing remote terminal management capabilities (telnet, ssh, etc.)? Any further clarification would certainly be appreciated.

I'm in complete agreement with Anthony's statement! It's not probable for our deployment it's a fact. Please pass along any information you can on how to get around this. Thanks.

Jeff

The issue(s) that you raise was brought to our attention a while ago and we are working on a solution for the IDSM 3.0 software. At the least, remote telnet should be available.

Thank you all for your feedback. Is there an estimated release date available for IDS Module base software version 3.0?

the date is not exact ;) the current (and earliest) target is mid October.