Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM2 - time not synchronized

rafi1979
Level 1
Level 1

hi..i'm just amateur on IDSM-2.

i'm using cisco IDSM2 on switch 6509, and also using security monitor ver. 1.2. Time on switch are the current time and using PST timezone. Our problem is :

-Time on IDSM2 not synchronized with switch (early 8 hours from switch time) but others like NAM and Firewall module time are synchronized.

-Time display on security monitor event early 8 hours than IDSM2 time (means 16 hour early than current time- switch)

i just using the default time on idsm2,without modifying ntp, summer time and system timezone.. because i thought the idsm2 will follow the switch time automatically.

i have cleared events (cli command) already but still no changes.

pls help..

6 Replies 6

flyingmunk
Level 1
Level 1

by default, the idsm-2 will synchronize its clock (GMT time) with that of the switch, however, you will need to set the timezone and summertime settings on the idsm-2.

make sure you set these on your switch also.

hope this helps.

chris

i'm not familiar with the switch configuration because i'm not a network person.. can you show me an example for time configuration (summertime settings?? & timezone) for both the swith 6509 and idsm2 ?? my location was in kuala lumpur, malaysia..

pls help..tq

For the idsm2 sensor, run cli and enter the "setup" command. Here is an example of how to setup central standard/daylight time (CST and CDT):

sensor29# setup

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Continue with configuration dialog?[yes]:

Enter host name[sensor29]:

Enter IP address[10.89.147.29]:

Enter netmask[255.255.255.128]:

Enter default gateway[10.89.147.126]:

Enter telnet-server status[enabled]:

Enter web-server port[443]:

Modify current access list?[no]:

Modify system clock settings?[no]: yes

Use NTP?[no]:

Modify summer time settings?[no]: yes

Recurring, Date or Disable?[Recurring]:

Start Month[apr]:

Start Week[first]:

Start Day[sun]:

Start Time[02:00:00]:

End Month[oct]:

End Week[last]:

End Day[sun]:

End Time[02:00:00]:

DST Zone[]: CDT

Offset[60]:

Modify system timezone?[no]: yes

Timezone[UTC]: CST

UTC Offset[0]: -360

The following configuration was entered.

i have tried setting this before by entering the offset value = -480 (minus 8 hours) and the time was synchronized between ids module and switch 6509, but why in security monitor when i run the selected events, the result display was the wrong time (not same with the ids module time)????.

For example let say i choose to display the events on seurity monitor between 5.00pm until 6.00pm on 6 august 2004. The ids module time was synchronized with the switch (current time).

The result display on the local date & time column (on sec monitor events) was 8 hours early than ids module time. Result display was events between 1am-2am on the next day (7 august)

Did you reboot the idsm sensor? If not then reboot the sensor and see if the event times are corrected.

of course i always reboot it because by default the sensor will reboot automatically after the time was changed. Is the VMS/Security monitor was corrupted?? i have remove and install back IDS MC and Security MOnitor but still no changes (time display on sec. monitor not synchronized). Should i re-install back the VMS CiscoWorks???