cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Implementing IDS on ATM WAN?

cschueler
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any experience working with IDS on an ATM WAN? I have a network that is primarily composed of Frasi based circuits and need to monitor those connections. I could use a fiber tap, but don't know of any IDS that can decipher ATM WAN Cells. If anyone has a clue please let me know,

Chris

3 Replies 3

gmauchamer
Level 1
Level 1

ATM is layer 2 , like Frame Relay. IDS is going to look at layer 3/4. IP source and destination. The IDS could care less about the layer 2 transport method. Wherever the network becomes copper, plug in the IDS.

Maybe I left out some important information to this question. I am running mutiple 7200's with the VXR modules. The data will never leave the router to a "copper" network, but be transfered to another downstream router and sub-network. I want to be able to monitor from a central location each one of those connections which are FRASI based.

Maybe I left out some important information to this question. I am running mutiple 7200's with the VXR modules. The data will never leave the router to a "copper" network, but be transfered to another downstream router and sub-network. I want to be able to monitor from a central location each one of those connections which are FRASI based.