cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IS THERE ANYWAY TO RECOVER OS ON CONCENTRATOR AND IDS SENSOR VIA CONSLE?

haseeb_eng
Level 1
Level 1

Like in cisco routers and switches we can install IOS through console cable . Is there any way to install the operating systems in VPN concentrators and IDS via console cable ?

In other words if the Concentrator and IDS are crashed how would you recover them ? For IDS i know you can recover it from the CD is there any other way ?

3 Replies 3

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I do not know about the VPN concentrators.

For IDS sensors it depends on what version you were running.

If you were running version 3.x then there is no way to recovery the operating system without a CD.

If you were running version 4.x then reboot the sensor. On reboot, a bootup screen will appear (a grub meny for those familiar with Linux).

The default selection is for the standard Application image. This will be automatically selected after a few seconds if the user doesn't touch any keys.

But if you act fast, you can select the other image which is the Recovery image.

When booted to the Recovery image, a recovery process kicks in. It will store some basic network configurations information (like ip, netmask, gateway, but none of the IDS signature configuration). Then reformat the drive, and install a fresh OS image complete with IDS applications. When done the sensor will be rebooted into a fresh Application image with the network configuration saved from before the recovery.

I know that the bootup menu is avialable on the keyboard and monitor, but I think it is also available through the console port.

shannong
Level 4
Level 4

The IDS 4.x stores a "Recovery Partition" that will rebuild the IDS to a default install of the current version. If the file system is thrashed, you'll need the recovery CD to install the OS.

The VPN concentrator stores a default image in a flash chip that you can restore to if the file system gets corrupted and fsck won't fix it. If you need to accomplish this and really want the steps how to do this, reply back.

Thank you for your reply to my post. Shannong please tell me how would you recover OS on vpn concentrator through console ?