Views
Helpful
Replies

M-I-L's Router connected to the ISP Pipe

himanshurgu
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

Background: My MIL is in an ex-Soviet country, where I visited her. She gets FTTH via Huawei 8240 CPE.  It is connected via optic fibre, not POTS.

I was asked to install a WAP in her point, which I did. Since the WAP was on client-server dhcp mode, I used "IP scanner" to find the DHCP assigned IP address of the WAP on the LAN side. The scanning never finished, and after 10 minutes I found out that there were 1000 hosts on the same subnet! which was a shock. It looks like that the ISP has "PATed" into various homes. 

So her home hosts all get "public IP addresses" at any time. I was only looking for a 192.168.xx.xx address, but they all are public IPs. 

My questions: 

1: Why their ISP has not used NAT on the LAN side? Why all customers on same subnet look like on a DMZ?

2:  How do I protect her home PC now, since I know this might be a security flaw?

for eg: SKY UK forces you to use their own modem. Way around is easy by doing a double NAT (not the best but ok)Good router >SKY UK Router> DSL

3: IS there a way I can protect MIL's home network but still using the ISP modem/router?

thank you

Himanshu

1 Reply 1

himanshurgu
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone, any comments please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: