cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX-506E Temperature?

bpalmersheim
Level 1
Level 1

I just received a new PIX-506E firewall. This things runs HOT!!!

It appears that there is no air circulation in the cabinet other than the CPU fan. The only air vents are in the rear of the PIX.

The CPU fan draws air from the top of the cabinet and blows the hot air on the memory and the side of the cabinet. Where does it get fresh air for cooling?

Look at other products… My 1760 router has two fans, my 3550 has some healthy fans for cooling. Why not the 506E?

The PIX is very hot, to me this is unacceptable. Cooler means longer life, happier electronics.

I am just worried about premature failure due to overheating.

Are others having heat problems with this firewall?

3 Replies 3

nikhil_m
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on this ?

bpalmersheim
Level 1
Level 1

No updates. It still runs hot. I have an 11U rack in my home office and the PIX is on a 2U shelf by itself, so air circulation is not an issue.

I have a fan that blow directly on the PIX to keep the chassis temperature cooler.

Out of interest to see how many others are experiencing Hot 506e's, I searched all the TAC cases. They were a couple dozen or so cases regarding this.

Here are the things of note from the cases:

There is no official field notice regarding the operating temperature of the 506e. There is a sensor in the 506e that causes the unit to shutdown if it exceeds approx. 170 or so degrees internal temperature.

Some TAC cases resulted in RMAs only to have the exchanged unit run at the same temperature. Other TAC cases resulted in the 506e being returned directly to the TAC engineer and the 506e be warm to the touch.

Finally, other cases resulted in RMAs because the 506e started having errors, possibly due to the temperature.

So, please don't shoot the messenger.

I know this post doesn't really provide a solution, rather, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and also what other end users are experiencing when interfacing with TAC regarding this.

thanks

peter