Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendations for a not too expensive 10 to 20 port switch

tmtork
Level 1
Level 1

My use case is as follows:

I have a SOHO network want to buy a switch that will allow me to practice the skills in the CCNP certifications.  I also want it to have 10 - 24 ports, and I also want it to be "fast enough" to mirror all of the network traffic to a network security monitoring device with full packet capture (I am planning to monitor the network with Zeek formerly known as Bro).  I am willing to buy used, but don't want to get anything out of support/end of support. I hoping to spend less than $450.  Anybody have any suggestions?

1 Reply 1

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Since CCNP cert has changed a bit my recommendation might not be 100% accurate but I would look at used Catalyst 3850s, which replaced 3750s, and are being replaced by new 9000 series or 9200s. 9200s would be ideal for CCNP and CCIE (must have for CCIE) but those are too $$$. I think you can practice some automation using DevNet Sandbox instead of real 9200s for your CCIE lab exam.

In the past c3750s switches were perfect for CCNP home lab certification practice.  You can get those really cheap if you want to practice L2 topics such STP, Etherchannels, Inter-VLAN routing , etc.  I think the exam has moved from L2 domain into new automation, SD-Access, etc, so those old switches are no longer helpful. 

If you can find used c3850 switch with 1 Gig 24- or 48-ports and 2 or 4 Fiber uplink SFF module already inserted, GET IT !  

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **