cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing - static route vs. default gateway

kvigil
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup two 2501 series routers running IOS 11.2 in my SOHO network. I used the serial interfaces to connect the two routers and have successfully started routing between two networks using eigrp. However, I have two issues.

On my original 192.168.0.x/24 network, I have all my clients default gateway setup as my cable modem, nut the router to my new second network. However, I set a static route on each client to get to my other 10.0.x.x/16 network. Can ping back and forth from client on 192 to client on 2. However, I CANNOT telnet to my router attched to the 10 network and ping anything?? The only way this works, is if I set my clients DEFAULT GATEWAY to that of the router. So, the clients on my 10 net can ping clients on my 192 net, but the router itself. the clients can recieve icmp responses back using a static route on the other end, but the router requires the route back to be the DEFAULT GATEWAY?

Any ideas on this, or might I have setup something wrong?

2 Replies 2

tcrellin
Level 1
Level 1

If I have understood you right, the problem may be that when you try to ping back from the far end router, it is using the serial interface IP address as the source address and you have not given your clients a static route for that address.

In an extended ping, you can set the source address to be whichever interface you like but by default it uses the interface that the packet will leave the router on.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

hi kvigil

u r explanation of what u r doing is very ambiguous for any body to understand. please be specifc and clear about what u r trying to do.

with regards

shanky

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus