Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH is disabled randomly

asarlo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 2612 router, the IOS version is 12.2(11)T.

I has configure ssh, the following is the configuration:

ip ssh time-out 60

ip ssh authentication-retries 2

SSH Enabled - version 1.5

Authentication timeout: 60 secs; Authentication retries: 2

I can connect via ssh a the router with this configuration. The problem is that I can't connect (the application (putty) display a error message) after I connect at several times. This problem is resolved accessing a the router via console and perform the following command (delete the rsa key and generate this key again):

crypto key zeroize rsa

crypto key generate rsa

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sounds like the session isn't disconnecting properly. Are you just closing the PuTTY window, or are you actually typing "quit" at the router prompt? If you login a second time and do a "sho users", do you still see the old session in there (will probably be on vty 0)? Basically you can only connect 5 times and use up the 5 VTY ports before you won't be able to get in again. If you session is not disconnecting properly then eventually you'll run out of available ports to SSH/telnet into.

I just set up a 2612 with 12.2(11)T and using PuTTY was able to connect and disconnect numerous times. No matter how I disconnected the session would be released from the router almost immediately.

Generally the connection is lost by time-out. Often I disconnect use exit command. A this moment I can't connect. I access by console, when I enter "sh user" command I not see vty connection.

Some idea?

Thanks.