cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using someones public IP space

samuel.d.knox
Level 1
Level 1

I came into a group that had no network support and discovered that public IPv4 space that is owned by an organization from a different company is being used inside a closed network.  There is no one that can explain why someone decided to use this public IP space when the private space should have been used.  I am unable to find any information indicating if this is illegal and what the ramifications might be.  If there is no punitive action that can be taken then there will not be a reason to re-IP everything.  This network is closed and will never see the internet.

Does anyone know or have documentation that proves this fact might end in legal action?

Thanks for your time. 

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen it happen on occasion even on public networks. The worst outcome I've seen is that the ISP of the offending network blacklists them.

Internet addressing is not really a legal consruct per se unless and until the behavior could be demonstrated to be willful and damaging. In such a case the usual laws that exist to protect business and individuals come into play.

I don't have a citation for you and I am by no means qualified to give legal advice so please don't interpret this as such. It's just my layman's understanding based on over 30 years of being a network engineer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: