cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

validation error

kerry.whittaker
Level 1
Level 1

got two user (one XP one win ME). they get a validation error on c:/windows/system32/vsinit.dll (vpnclinet.exe) when they boot their machines. only just started to happen. maybe something in SP2 or another automatice patch update.

Xp user get "subsystem unaviable" when trying to use the client.

8 Replies 8

joshuagray
Level 1
Level 1

Is this XP Home Edition by chance?

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

Was the client sw uninstalled and then reinstalled as part of troubleshooting the failed connections?

What versions of the cisco clients are being used?

My install problems have used the 3 most recent clients, all fail with the same error on startup.

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

Here is some info I found from this URL:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=24113#M24113

Even though you maynot use the Zone Alarm product I think you may need to follow these steps anyway. Try it and let me know how it proceeds.

Here is the message contents:

Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services

To register .dll files that are associated with Cryptographic Services, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

3. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each line:

Note Click OK if you are prompted.

Note Microsoft Windows 2000 does not include the Sccbase.dll file. If you are running a version of Windows 2000, omit the Sccbase.dll file.

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll

regsvr32 /u initpki.dll

regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll

regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll

regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll

regsvr32 /u softpub.dll

exit

4. Restart your computer.

5. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

6. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command).

Note Click OK if you are prompted.

Note Microsoft Windows 2000 does not include the Sccbase.dll file. If you are running a version of Windows 2000, omit the Sccbase.dll file.

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 dssenh.dll

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll

regsvr32 sccbase.dll

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll

exit

not sure on XP home or XP Pro.

will try this work around.

If you do have a ZoneLabs product installed (such as Zone Alarm Pro) you may be encountering bug CSCea17705

From the cisco vpn client 4.6 release notes:

CSCea17705

If a ZoneLabs product such as ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro is installed on the PC and the VPN Client is installed or upgraded, ZoneAlarm blocks the VPN Client service (cvpnd.exe). The VPN Client's splash screen appears, but the GUI does not. ZoneAlarm does not ask the user whether to allow the VPN Client to access the Internet. Additionally, the following error appears after about two minutes:

"The necessary VPN sub-system is not available. You can not connect to the remote VPN server."

Workaround:

Do the following steps:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Open the ZoneLabs product and select "Program Control".

Step 2 Click on the "Programs" Tab

Step 3 Cisco Systems VPN Client's Access permission is a ?. Click under "Trusted" and select "Allow". The ? mark changes change to a Check mark.

Step 4 Reboot the PC.

Step 5 When the PC boots back up, the client will launch normally.

This may be of some help. Let me know what you find.

had to reload the client s/w agian and enable windows FW. now working. no ideas as zone alarm not loaded and XP fw wall was disbaled. they were runing virus chercker call NOD. very strange. may of been some type of windows error fixed by a automatice S/W patch.

the win ME user upgraded to XP. and is also working.

both using the 4.0.4 client.

thanks for the suggestions.

It may be due to invalid certificate or cert config or maybe the users had the virus described here:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32argdoora.html